Starting a Business
Best Communities for Business
Brooks ranked Number 5 on the 2013 Best Communities for Business in Alberta Ventures independent study. According to the report, we have the lowest costs to service industrial land at $148,000 per acre!
Steps to Start
(Never purchase these items until you have completed your research and are ready to operate your business)
- Determine your business structure (either as a Sole Proprietorship, Partnership or Incorporate your company. Always seek professional advice.)
- If your business will operate from home, contact the Development Officer to inquire about a home occupation licence 403-362-3333.
- Obtain, if necessary, any permits and/or special licences (e.g. bonded permits, development permits).
- Obtain a City Business Licence - Come and see us at City Hall, 201 1st Avenue West, or call 403-362-3333.
- Register your business with Alberta Registries (Licence Centre/Bureau, or AMA). Prior to, do a name search to see if name is available. For a free search go to the Arvic Search Services website (NUANS pre-screen search) or Alberta Registries. (There will be a fee to do a NUANS search there).
- Research and purchase commercial insurance as applicable for your business.
- Contact the Canada Revenue Agency (800-959-5525), for a Business Number and GST Number, if you will have more than $30,000 in sales in a 12 month consecutive period, and/or if you intend to hire employees.
- Research and acquire WCB coverage if necessary for your business (Phone: 800-661-1993)
Please visit our Business Resources page for a full list of resources available!