- City Council
From Left to Right
Front Row: Councillor Bill Prentice, Mayor John Petrie, Councillor Jon Nesbitt
Back Row: Councillor Joel Goodnough, Councillor Marissa Wardrop, Councillor Mohammed Idriss, Councillor Ray Juska
City Council Regular Meetings
- 4:30 p.m.
- 1st & 3rd Mondays of each month
- Council Chambers
Council Committee Meetings
- 4:30 p.m
- 2nd & 4th Tuesday of each month
- Hayes Room
- Council Meeting - July 4, August 21
- Council Committee - August 29
Agendas & Minutes
- Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes.
Strategic Focus Areas 2021-2025
- City Council plans an annual Corporate Retreat where strategic focus areas are discussed. The most recent Corporate Retreat was held in March, 2022 and the following are the strategic focus areas that were set by Council.
- Strategic Focus Areas 2021-2025
Council is the approving authority on recommendations by the standing committees, staff or other Boards and Commissions. Examples of business items presented to Council include agreements, leases, accounts payables, financial statements, bylaws, budget, capital purchases and statutory documents. Council has the authority to add other items for basic discussion and to discuss items In Camera if the issue deals with:
- Any information regarding contract negotiations
- Information pertaining to the City's accounting practices.
- Matters concerning RCMP investigations or confidential reporting
- Matters involving litigation, or the discussion of legal advice provided to the City
- The acquisition, sale, lease or exchange of land
- Wages, salaries and other personnel matters
Make a Presentation to Council
Please note, if you're interested in making a presentation to Council, you must be registered as a delegation before you can address Council. If you are interested in presenting an item to Council, please complete the delegation form (PDF) and contact the Executive Assistant at City Hall at 403-362-3333.
Boards, Committees & Commissions
Council members are appointed to various Boards, Committees and Commissions annually at the Organizational Meeting (held the second Council meeting in October). Council members are appointed as City representatives to serve in an advisory capacity.
On a quarterly basis, appointed Council members report Board and committee activities to Council. This process streamlines communications between both parties and keeps Council apprised of issues in the community.
The organizational meeting also includes appointments to standing committees. These Committees are specific to City related issues and for recommendations to Council; therefore, there are no citizens-at-large appointed to standing committees.
Roles & Responsibilities
City Council members are elected officials where their principal role and responsibilities under the Municipal Government Act are:
- Developing and evaluating the policies and programs of the municipality;
- Making sure that the powers, duties and functions of the municipality are appropriately carried out;
- Carrying out the powers, duties and functions expressly given to it under this or any other enactment; and,
- A Council must not exercise a power or function or perform a duty that is by this or another enactment or bylaw specifically assigned to the chief administrative officer or a designated officer.
The Mayor and Council are elected to serve a 4-year term. The last Municipal Election was held on October 2021 and new council members were elected.