City Council Regular Meetings
1st & 3rd Mondays of each month
Council Committee Meetings
2nd & 4th Tuesday of each month
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes.
Strategic Focus Areas 2017-2021
City Council plans an annual Corporate Retreat where strategic focus areas are discussed. The most recent Corporate Retreat was held in March, 2018 and the following are the strategic focus areas that were set by Council.
Strategic Focus Areas 2017-2021
Council is the approving authority on recommendations by the standing committees, staff or other Boards and Commissions. Examples of business items presented to Council include agreements, leases, accounts payables, financial statements, bylaws, budget, capital purchases and statutory documents. Council has the authority to add other items for basic discussion and to discuss items In Camera if the issue deals with:
- Any information regarding contract negotiations
- Information pertaining to the City's accounting practices.
- Matters concerning RCMP investigations or confidential reporting
- Matters involving litigation, or the discussion of legal advice provided to the City
- The acquisition, sale, lease or exchange of land
- Wages, salaries and other personnel matters
Make a Presentation to Council
Please note, if you're interested in making a presentation to Council, you must be registered as a delegation before you can address Council. If you are interested in presenting an item to Council, please complete the delegation form (PDF) and contact the Executive Assistant at City Hall at 403-362-3333.
Boards, Committees & Commissions
Council members are appointed to various Boards, Committees and Commissions annually at the Organizational Meeting (held the second Council meeting in October). Council members are appointed as City representatives to serve in an advisory capacity.
On a quarterly basis, appointed Council members report Board and committee activities to Council. This process streamlines communications between both parties and keeps Council apprised of issues in the community.
The organizational meeting also includes appointments to standing committees. These Committees are specific to City related issues and for recommendations to Council; therefore, there are no citizens-at-large appointed to standing committees.
Roles & Responsibilities
City Council members are elected officials where their principal role and responsibilities under the Municipal Government Act are:
- Developing and evaluating the policies and programs of the municipality;
- Making sure that the powers, duties and functions of the municipality are appropriately carried out;
- Carrying out the powers, duties and functions expressly given to it under this or any other enactment; and,
- A Council must not exercise a power or function or perform a duty that is by this or another enactment or bylaw specifically assigned to the chief administrative officer or a designated officer.
The Mayor and Council are elected to serve a 4-year term. The last Municipal Election was held in October 2017 and new council members were elected.
The next election will be held in October of 2021.