A BUILDING PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED for sheds that are 10 square metres (100 ft2) or less provided the shed meets the requirements in the Land Use Bylaw.
A BUILDING PERMIT IS REQUIRED for sheds that are more than 10 square metres (100 ft2).
(1) A shed cannot be located in a front yard.
(2) A shed must be at least 1.5 metres from principal buildings.
(3) A shed that is 10 square metres (100 ft2) or larger must be at least 1 metre from the side and rear property lines.
(4) A shed that is less than 10 square metres and is on a temporary foundation does not require any rear or side setbacks. However, it must be at least 1 metre from any other accessory buildings.
(5) A residential property cannot contain more than 3 accessory structures and the maximum lot coverage for all accessory buildings combined is 15%.
(6) The maximum height of an accessory building shall be no more than 4.5 metres.
Obtaining a Permit
City of Brooks Building Permits are provided by Park Enterprises Ltd. through a contract. To obtain a permit, submit a written application on the prescribed form, accompanied with the required plans, and pay the prescribed fee. The following information should be provided:
(1) A site plan drawn to scale showing:
- the lot size and location of any existing buildings on the lot.
- the location and dimensions of the proposed shed.
(2) Details on the foundation.
(3) Details on the wall construction.
(4) Door and window sizes & location.
(5) Details on the roof construction, roof slope, eave overhang and exterior finish.
Building Permit applications are available at City Hall or you can view the Building Permit Application (PDF).
Click here to be taken to the Fees webpage.
Completed application forms can be dropped off between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at:
City of Brooks
201 - 1 Avenue West
A development permit may also be required. Please contact the City to determine if a development permit is required for your proposed work.
THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY THE CITY OF BROOKS AS A PUBLIC SERVICE AND HAS NO LEGAL STATUS.